Karak has been called by other names throughout history. In the past it has been called
Harkock in the Faro manuscripts, Kheirharst on the Obelisk of Misha', Krakmoba on the Madaba Mosaic Map, and the ‘Gem of the Desert’ during the period of the crusades. During the time of the crusaders the castle of Karak was built (AD 1142) and ruled by Reenodi Arnat. Sultuan Al-Daher Baibars refortified the castle and built his famous tower in the year AD 1263.
Is a small village with Roman and Nabataean temples.
Was one of the Nabataean trading stops. It features ruins dating back to the Roman period as well as a Byzantine church.
Is the location of the great Battle of Mu'tah (the first Islamic battle outside the Arabian Peninsula in the eighth year of Hegira).
Is a Nabataean city with a temple and some water systems.
In Al-Mazar one can see the tombs of Abdullah Bin Rawahah, Zeid, and Ja'far – leaders in the Battle of Mu'tah.
The Castle of Karak
Bayim, Prince of Karak and Shoubak, gave the orders to build the castle. It was built on several Mo'abi and Nabataean ruins during the period of the crusades in the year AD 1136. Even with its impressive defensive fortifications, Karak could not hold out against the forces of Salah Eddin after the governor of Karak, the infamous Reynaud de Chatillon, broke several truces with Salah Eddin. The Mamluk Sultan Baibars later refortified the castle and built his famous tower.
The Tomb of the Prophet Noah
There is a mosque containing the Tomb of the Prophet Noah.
Is the natural border between Madaba and Karak. This valley also used to be the natural boundary between the Ammonites and the Moabites. Arnon is the name given to it in the Bible.
The Church of Lot
Is a church with many caves located in Ghor Al-Safi. Here one can also visit the Monastery of Ein Abata. Abata is the name taken after the daughter of the Prophet Noah.
Is a place whose ruins date back to the Bronze Age. It is located on the eastern shore of the Dead Sea.
Is located to the south of Karak, close to That-Rass. A Byzantine church and Islamic homes were found in Kurbat Al-Nakhl.
Is the capital of the governorate which was inhabited by Ma'oni merchants and then later by the Nabataeans. Additionally, it is the place where the Islamic armies of Mu'tah met and where an Ottoman castle was built during the reign of Suleiman Qanooni. Ma'an is considered to have been an important stop during the Great Arab Revolt.
The Castle of Shoubak
Is perched on top of a small hill northeast of the town of Shoubak. It was first built by crusaders, who named it Montreal, but was subsequently defeated by Salah Eddin Al-Ayyubi. Later, the castle was reused by the Mamluks.
Is a castle that was built by crusaders to the east of the castle of Al-Shoubak.
Is a place of Nabataean ruins, as well as the remains of a Roman camp.
Jabal Al-Tahkim (the Hill of Judication)
Is located between Othroh and Al-Jarba. This hill is famous for the judication that took place between Al-Ash'ari, the delegate of Ali and Amr Bin Al'aas, the delegate of Mo'awiyeh.
Is to the southeast of Petra. It is an important village that dates back to the Stone Age (6,000 BC).
Was known as Elgi or Elgia during the Nabataean period. Lifomayees was the name that it received during the period of the crusades. Places of interest: Al-Baseet, a village dating back to the Stone Age; Taweelan, a place from the Iron Age with a Nabataean residence in the town center; Al-Dohra, a place in which Bronze Age images were found; and, finally, Kurbat Al-Nawafleh and Kurbat Elgi, which feature Islamic ruins.
Has a village that dates back to the Iron Age (6,000 BC).
To the southeast of Petra lie some ruins dating back to the Modern Stone Age, a Nabataean convoy stop, and a Nabataean theater.
To the southwest of Petra lie some Nabataean tombs in addition to a Byzantine city. The name Al-Sadaqa was repeatedly mentioned in the manuscripts from the church of Petra.
Was an Ottoman caravansary used for serving pilgrims on the Hejaz Railroad.
Is located on the remains of an Adomite city called Toefl. During the Roman period it was called DeeTifolis, then became prosperous during the Nabataean period.
Is a volcanic mountain with Kurba and Nabataean temples at the top.
Is a former Nabataean settlement that has provided many discoveries, such as a Nabataean temple, tombs, and homes.
The origin of this castle is Adomite. However, it was later rebuilt by the Nabataeans. After the period of the Nabataeans, it was occupied by the crusaders and then by the Mamluks, who built a high castle.
Located twenty-two kilometers to the south of Tafeela, used to be the Adomites’’ capital. It is also home to the tomb of Al-Harith Bin Al-Omeir. He was the messenger of Mohammad the Prophet (PBUH) to Sharhabil Bin Amr Al-Ghassani (the King of Basra). Al-Ghassani ordered the messenger to be killed, which lead to the battle of Mu’tah.
Is the tomb of Farwa Bin Amra Al-Joddami, who died a martyr at the hands of Al-Harith Al-Ghassani and Hercules, the Roman Caesar.
Lies to the east of Tafeela. Some Adomite ruins as well as Nabataean tombs were found in the castle of Sal'.
The Mosque of Al-Hameedi
Is located in the town center. It was built in the late Ottoman period.
Is a name which was mentioned in Islamic sources. After its discovery, Gharandal was then reused by Muslims. A church covered with mosaics was later discovered during excavations in Gharandal.
Is a valley that meets at the end of the Dana Valley (Wadi Dana). This valley was used as a copper mine during the Bronze and Iron Ages as well as during the time of the Nabataeans, the Romans, and the Byzantines.
The early days of the Islamic era saw the construction of the city of
Ella, which accepted Islam without resistance. It is home to a number of Adomite and Nabataean ruins. Aqaba is also considered to have been the assembly area of the armies of Great Arab Revolt.
The Circular Garden
Is a location where Byzantine, Roman, Nabataean and Islamic ruins were discovered.
The Aqaba Fort
Was rebuilt during the rule of one of the last Mamluk Sultans, Qanisoih al-Ghouli, and was again rebuilt during the reign of Murad Bin Saleem Khan in AD 1587. Later it was used by the Hashemites during the Great Arab Revolt.
Is one of the finest Adomite sites from the Iron Age.
Was once home to Sharif Hussein bin Ali.
Is to the east of Aqaba and is the location of a discovery of several remains of settlements dating back to the Copper Age.
Was once known as Ihram. Some Thamodi, Nabataean and Islamic writings have been found there. Wadi Rum is believed to have been a route for commerce and pilgrim convoys between Damascus and Hejaz.
Nabataea Allat (God’s Temple)
Is a Nabataean temple discovered in Wadi Rum located near Ein Al-Shallaleh.
Is a place of many Nabataean watering systems and was therefore called the Nabataea Agricultural Settlement. Al-Hummaymeh is considered to be the place where the Abbassi call started.
Is located in the vicinity of Rass Al-Naqab. Nabataeans used to carry water from Ein Jmam to Al-Hummaymeh.
Lies to the east of Wadi Rum and is home to numerous Nabataean, Thamodi and Islamic engravings.